Demise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Initial Thoughts...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Creep
Creep

Castlevania:  Lords of Shadow   Initial Thoughts... Empty
PostSubject: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Initial Thoughts...   Castlevania:  Lords of Shadow   Initial Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey!

Have you heard? There's ANOTHER 3D game out there.

Like almost every other 3rd-person hack 'n slash on the market...

Okay, perhaps that's a little harsh. Any game that has Patrick Stewart doing voiceovers is BOUND to be good, right? Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion did well!!!

Thus far, ol' Cap'n Picard does a GREAT Ramirez-style mentor/narrator (ca. Highlander) in Konami's bid to revitalize the franchise. Had they taken just a FEW camera pointers from Square-Enix, I'd be crossing my eyes a lot less, be FAR less seasick, and want to wear blinders NOT AT ALL!

Mediocre blu-ray rendered graphics aside, it's just HARD to pick out the colors of all of the hidden goodies in the game (they're supposed to glow, but tend to get lost in the poor gamma contrast). Let's put it this way...the cutscenes are far better than the normal graphics, but the rapid-fire nature of the skippable FMV is kinda distracting. That, and every time you re-play a level, they keep coming up.

I guess my biggest complaint thus far is that they borrow WAY too much from C'vania: Lament of the Innocents--perhaps the WORST 3D-rendered game I have ever had the misfortune of playing. Seriously, Nier has smoother combat, rendering, and a more natural button logic flow for combat. That, and C'Vania is renowned for 2D side-scrollers...not 3D.

Music is good so far. Plot rocks. I like the concept of balancing light and dark but....OOOOPS...sounds strangely like...Dante's Inferno.

So I guess that so far...the new C'vania had some great ideas...but got beaten to the punchline on almost all of them. Combined with the jerky graphics, this one's a rental.

J

Back to top Go down

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Initial Thoughts...
Page 1 of 1