Demise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Creep
Creep

Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain Empty
PostSubject: Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain   Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:39 am

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/801-adios-to-star-wars-galaxies

Love to hear thoughts on the retirement of SWG.

J
Back to top Go down
lazuras
lazuras

PostSubject: Re: Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain   Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:52 pm

HOLY crap...near as i can remember this is the first game to ever shut down with an active player base...hell UO and EQ are still up for god's sake, and after 8 years...just...wow...

The author is right games come and go but in the MMO world usually once they make it past the first year they do tend to stay, someone correct me if I'm wrong but has any game that lasted over a year or two been shut down to date? Jesus Anarchy Online is still running (free with payed services) but still online...hurrah SOE, there's GOT to be more to this story lol.
JJ
Back to top Go down
Creep
Creep

PostSubject: Re: Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain   Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:45 pm

I hate to be the wet (marketing) blanket, BUT...

Wasn't SWG free to play at this point, or am I thinking LOTRO only?

If not...yeah, that's kinda weird unless there was a problem with maintenance/upkeep of the servers or, as was kind of alluded to in the article...a licensing/contractual issue.

Or mebbe they'll offer folks some perk to start up in Old Republic.

Kinda makes me wonder about WHEN legacy games shut down...should the manufacturers offer incentives for those players in their NEXT offering?

Worth pondering.

J
Back to top Go down
Vorex
Admin
Vorex

PostSubject: Re: Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain   Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Forcing the star wars die hards to buy their new game. Sounds like profit to me. Sucks for the diehards though. I don't even play daoc anymore but I might shed a tear if they shut down the servers for good. I like to know its still there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain   Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alas, poor SWG, I knew thee...well, through Cain
Page 1 of 1