Demise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Don't hate me for this, but....

Go down 
+4
Creep
lazuras
Vorex
Engelica
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Engelica
Officer
Engelica

Don't hate me for this, but....  Empty
PostSubject: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 am

Back to top Go down
Vorex
Admin
Vorex

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 pm

I am completely satisfied with GW2 right now... but if this makes it through production and does not look like complete shit... I will have no choice by to try it. Long live DAOC.

Also worth noting. This is just in the beginning phase. Right now Mark Jacobs is setting up for a kickstarter campaign starting on March 13th. For those that don't know, kickstarter is a website where people can post an idea and ask for donations to make their project come to life. I for one am willing to give Mark Jacobs another month or 2 worth of my old daoc subs just to see where this goes.
Back to top Go down
lazuras
lazuras

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Exciting, but the demographic has changed far too much, people expect the blend of PvE and RvR, especially if you want enough players for true zerg vs zerg warfare, even DAoC knew that, coincidently also one of the many arguable reasons its populaton left (ToA). I would expect HUGE selling points coming out over his blog posts, some not making it to production of course and overall a fun game eventually being produced, but be careful not to view the past through rose colored glasses, for every epic battle you fought try to dig out of the back of your brain things like unfinished leveling, Realm rank disparity, master levels, banshees, animists in keep defense, 8v8 development, sorcs, and the million other things (baseline stun on hib...sorry just me?) we all literally bitched about daily, that could NOT be overcome without patches that usually came too late to stop people from cancelling accounts, and that was from a larger "Mythic" team prior to EA involvement...now compare that to today, not just in GW but even WoW...I whine about mesmers but I kill them, Mike complains about his weapon choices but because they're all viable, etc...Mr. Jacobs made a good game for it's time (lets not discuss warhammer which as I recall had a very similiar interview prior to development...), but accepting the improvements other games have made, and they HAVE improved, will be the first step from reading this article. I wish them luck and depending on the monthly charge may even give it a shot, but calling it camelot unchained, persistent world, player housing, bringing the term RvR into it, referencing similiar cultures for the realms, and than saying "But I’m not looking to make a spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot." is a blatant lie, most likely to avoid people comparing it as I have.

Honestly he'd probably get more people donating and a larger player base if he just flat out said "hey I'm making DAoC 2 based on years of feedback and creating a shitty warhammer game, come donate so I can get this shit off the ground." Just this crusty old asses 2 copper.
JJ
Back to top Go down
Creep
Creep

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Not sure Mark Jacobs' bullshit meter is tweaked appropriately.

Let's review one single definition that would save him a LOT of re-work as he goes forward, from Harry G. Frankfurt's epic ON BULLSHIT:

Quote :
"It is just this lack of concern with truth -- this indifference to how things really are--that I regard as the essence of bullshit."

Might have saved us from LA nerfs based on blog whines, baseline stuns, Sorcs in general, animist, bainshees, and evil bolt-speccers in BGs...etc, etc.

If he can overcome the BULLSHIT...it might be worth playing.

Or giving EVERYONE some aspect of bullshit that makes their particular class ENJOYABLE. Suit to taste.

J
Back to top Go down
Vorex
Admin
Vorex

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 3:27 pm

I agree that he should just call it Daoc 2.0. There are plenty of people who have been calling for it for years.

I also think Jason hit the mark. Making sure your game is balance for PvP = watered down garbage(see Warhammer).
Making sure everybody is equally OP in a different manner gives you something to bitch about and keeps you engaged. (See the constant debates on GW2 balance. I.E. Whine: Warriors hundred blades skill is OP! Response: Learn to dodge nub. Whine: Thieves do too much damage! Response: Yea but they only have 3 hit points.)

Did I mention that GW2 is a great game?
Back to top Go down
lazuras
lazuras

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 pm

I concur
Back to top Go down
Engelica
Officer
Engelica

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm

I think we've also (or most of us) have come to the conclusion that GW2 is practically DAoC 2.0 (so to speak)... I am not saying jump ship and go play there (when it's up and if we are still happy with GW2)... this was brought to my attention by Randy... Yes, Arkania!

I am trying to recruit him to our server. He is currently playing GW2 as an ele. He has a commander star already and from what he is telling me is running a zerg on his server. I think this would be GREAT for Demise (Darkhaven) if we could get him to jump over and lead our WvWvW What a Face

Any who, he mentioned it. I googled it. I shared it.
Back to top Go down
Thorgren
Officer
Thorgren

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm

I had a big wall of text typed out then my desktop crapped out on me.

Summary.

I love DAoC but RvR could be frustrating. Stun-lock 3 second death = suck. That was the norm not the exception.

DAoC unchained RvR would have to be perfect for the game to be a success. There will be no option for your player base to fall back to if there was a bad patch, bad nerf, exploits or soul crushing x-teaming. That is the short list of shit that can go wrong.

I love GW2 because "Stun-lock 3 second death" does not exist. I can "Junior" into an enemy zerg, solo, and it will still feel like a fight, not one bright flash followed by a dirt nap. GW2 is not a face rolling, button sequence, lame game. Its more about situation based tactics. Knowing when to use your wall of reflection to bounce damage back on noob hunters, or when to use "hold the line" to break a root and most importantly, when to swap to your mace to beat the dog snot out of an elementalist.

I will Beta test it but have doubts about any past that.
Back to top Go down
Zearn

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Don't hate me for this, but....  Screen11

A screenshot from the development lab of Demise Entertainment.

I am way cooler than he is...

...Just saying
Back to top Go down
Engelica
Officer
Engelica

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Looks like Hibernia... Not cool, not cool.

Razz
Back to top Go down
Creep
Creep

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:52 am

Green grass is a good return on investment.

I'm all about 8-bit characters too Wink

J
Back to top Go down
Zearn

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:38 am

Hey now, he is 32 bit...

Suspect
Back to top Go down
Creep
Creep

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 am

I am wondering, given the popularity of kickstarter-based games like Pier Solar...if there isn't a significant part of the population that would be FINE with slightly older graphics, so long as the story works? I mean shit, take minecraft for instance. My kids love it.

The gaming demographic we are trying to capture grew up on 8-bit games. If the plot, story, and dynamics were good enough...could Demise be developed for a niche market, or would we want all the bells and whistles to try to break mainstream?

Not to go all hipster on anyone or anythang...

J

Back to top Go down
lazuras
lazuras

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 7:14 pm

On a side note, this thread speaks volumes of people's feelings towards GW2...been quite a few months since release and all the "ADD" people are still touting how much they're enjoying it, could this be some sort of sign? Just something to think about, a game release announcement and rather than frothing at the mouth about getting away from our current flavor of the month, we all say how much we enjoy it...weird change imho Wink
Back to top Go down
Vorex
Admin
Vorex

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 pm

TROOOF ---^
Back to top Go down
Engelica
Officer
Engelica

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 pm

The temptation of a new game has FAILED!! Proof is in the puddin' What a Face
Back to top Go down
Darkrise
Darkrise

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 pm

If anyone else is still interested...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained?ref=live

1.2 out of 2 million pledged with 2 weeks left to go. Almost 8000 backers, looking like this one might actually make it off the ground.
Back to top Go down
Engelica
Officer
Engelica

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 am

Mike and I have been watching the kickstarter site. At this point, I could go either way. I am having a lot of fun in GW2, so if Camelot Unchained doesn't make it I won't be heartbroken. However, if it DOES make it, I am sure we will try it.
Back to top Go down
Cain
Cain

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 7:47 pm

Anybody playing anything good these days?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't hate me for this, but....    Don't hate me for this, but....  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don't hate me for this, but....
Page 1 of 1